Friday, September 24, 2010

ArtisanalSpice: Raison d'etre

Umami = Savory. Our fifth taste sensation knows that elusive heavenly flavor of certain foods that linger on the tongue, and we say "mmmmmmm."   That's what ArtisanalSpice is all about.  My seasonings do not overpower your foods, but will gently boost your flavors naturally into that "fifth dimension" where umami resides!

The fascination of flavor and the desire to captivate the pleasures of international cuisines led me to grind my own herbs and spices. I discovered the difference between freshly ground blends versus expensive pre-packaged spices from store shelves that are already stale and bland by the time you open the jars. I learned that to fully appreciate the impact of freshly ground herbs and spices can have on your dishes, they must be made in small batches and used within a couple of months.  

My blends are inspired by international cuisines, with special emphasis on the sensual flavors of Spain and the Mediterranean, the middle east, and the Asian side of the Pacific Rim. In designing my blends, I strive to balance nature's earthy flavors to enhance each other & achieve "umami" savoriness that you often find in restaurants, but have trouble capturing in your own kitchen. 

Freshness is the key to fabulous flavors, and therefore I package my blends in small quantities which are plenty to make several spectacular family or dinner party meals. Most of my blends are ground coarsely, and you should re-fresh them with a couple of quick grinds in your mortar to release the flavors, just before adding them to your recipe. Alternatively, very quickly toasting your spices in a hot pan will release the oils and boost flavors.

My organic herb and spice blends are free of additives or preservatives. They are sold in my Etsy store, ArtisanalSpice and also available at the Collage Gallery in Kirkland, Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment